Website Link


back to the Fit and Toned website www.fitandtoned.co.nz

Thursday 6 June 2013

Nonethical ethic

We were born in a world ruled by all sorts of beliefs and practices, where rituals, not morals though, are sacred. Nobody questions, everybody follows. If you are something like me, you would definitely try to cross boundaries so, you dreamers, see you on the other side! 

I was taught that a woman always stays on the man's left and for years I wondered what's wrong with his right. Then, I realized that, growing up in a country once part of the Roman Empire, we had to follow Roman's rules. Apparently, they were wearing their swords on the right side so nicely placed their consorts on the other side. That may be true, but I don't remember men wearing swords anymore...maybe their mobile phones, but I don't think that would be so dangerous for any woman. Also the story about opening the door to a woman except when it is about the restaurant's door, where the man would always open the door for himself (!!!) and step in first. Apparently, this comes from the times when, entering in a pub in Far West all one could expect was a bullet.  How many fire guns have you heard lately in a cafe or dinner? Then the whole story behind black cats. Good or bad luck? Just depending the nation you grow up in. 

But if you really want to see rituals taken to extremes, just hop to the gym. I love gyms, always did, always will. I grew up in gyms, I loved, cried, shared, worked in gyms. They are everything I am. And just because I love them so much, I will never follow their unwritten rituals, but I will always watch them with a smile on my face. Just look at the big guy in the centre, full of muscle and arrogance. He always breaths in loudly three times (no kidding, 3 is the magical number) before pushing almost nothing on a chest press machine. Then there is that huge noise when he finally gets the weight way up (remember that even a teenager could lift as much as him). And then everybody watches him with so much admiration; is like he invented the square hula hoop. But probably the most followed behavior in any gym I have ever stepped in is "throwing the dumbbells". Every guy does it; every chick is impressed! So, get the dumbbells, as heavy as possible, then perform a biceps curl and then very majestic throw them on the floor. As bigger the noise, as more fans! 

And then there is the ladies corner. If you want to hear a secret that nobody knows (except the whole gym!), you must go there. There you will find out about every partner, what food they like and what not, where they work and how much they earn, but mostly how lazy they are. And all this comparing their partner's bad behavior with the exceptional one of their exes. 

Cross the lines, people. Go to gyms to have a workout! Once again, I will be on the other side waiting for you! :)

No comments: